Skip to main content

Can I turn a 401k plan into an IRA

Roselle Park, NJ |

My current employer has not responded to my request to switch to an IRA

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I would need some specific information about your 401(k) before I could offer you a firm opinion. However, there are 401(k) plan that can be rolled into an IRA. If your employer continues to ignore your request, I suggest speaking to the outside plan administrator of the 401(k).

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Peter J. Lamont, Esq. Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont 623 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 2, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 Phone: (973) 949-3770 Fax: (866) 603-0471 Toll Free: (855) NJLAW01 (855) 655-2901 Additional Offices in Massapequa, NY, Monument, CO, San Juan, PR and affiliates throughout the country. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.


Also, companies like Fidelity will give you free advice on the various options.

The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.


I agree with my colleagues. From a practical standpoint, if your employer is not responding to your requests, then contact your 401(k) plan administrator and / or your IRA manager. If you presently do not have an IRA or want to roll your 401(k) into a new IRA, call the financial institution where you would like to open the IRA and talk to them. Those calls could yield a wealth of advice.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer