Skip to main content

Can I travel within the United States if I only have a valid Mexican passport, Mexican Consulate, and a college photo ID card?

San Jose, CA |

I want to take a flight to El Paso Texas, but I am afraid of getting deported. Many friends that are in the same situation have traveled and stated that it is secure but I am not sure.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Generally speaking as long as you have a valid passport you should be able to travel within the US. It is best to consult an immigration attorney.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Now, you omit the most crucial information here. Are you in the United States in any valid legal status?
    If no, then you may be legally apprehended at any U.S. airport and even detained in a federal facility as any U.S. airport is a federal territory with federal agents who enforce the immigration law and check and detain aliens upon certain encounters.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  3. You definitely can travel with a VALID national passport. The overwhelming majority of airports across the US being international and in case not, nevertheless there is a constant stream of international passengers (even flying to Podunk, Iowa) regularly standing in TSA security lines with the picture page of their passports out and being routinely waived through, you have nothing to worry about. Most TSA agents don't like to dwell too long on foreign passports (has stuff written on it in a foreign language they cannot comprehend, makes them feel uncomfortable and even inadequate) . All they care to look at is to see if the picture on the passport and the individual standing in front of them are one and the same, and occasionally on the name. "Have a good flight, Ms. Arrelano" you might hear. Up until now it has never, at least to my knowledge, occurred to any TSA agent to take a deep look inside a passport and look if the person has a "visa" and if it's still valid. They don't want to know about that "stuff" anyway. They leave that to "those guys from immigration", meaning the CBP inspectors at the airport. Those two agencies (TSA & CBP) understand each other very well and thus try to stay out of each other's way. They hardly ever communicate, unless an emergency of some sort arises. Thus, if you are willing to take any perceived risk you think there is a be bold about it, you definitely can travel on your national passport. Millions of international visitors (and as I suspect many non-visitors who are here to stay) are doing it every day. I don't think you'll be an exception. Have a good trip!

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. If you are not in valid status, it cannot be done risk free.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.