Can I travel within the U.S. with a criminal record?

Asked over 1 year ago - Herndon, VA

My question is can I travel within the U.S. if I have a green card and a criminal record with 2 charges of embezzlement (both misdemeanors)? I have been living in the U.S. for more than 9 years and I got these charges last year and I plead guilty and unfortunately my $10,000 lawyer turned out to be all talk and no show so he did not take care of any of the immigration problems that might occur with this so I just want to fly on a plane within the U.S. and I just want to know if there are any dangers involved.

1. James Donald Garrett

6

Answered . You should speak to your attorney about any restrictions on your travel. However, whether you may travel outside of Virginia will depend on the terms of your probation. Do you have a probation officer? If so, you will need to secure their permission before your leave the Commonwealth. If you are on unsupervised probation (no probation officer), then you should be free to roam about the country as you please.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
    jd@garrettlawgroup.com
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

2. Irene Vaisman

Pro

7

Answered . Traveling within the US should not be a problem. However, since this just happened, you may want to revisit your convictions with another criminal attorney who understands the immigration consequences of criminal convictions.

3. Anu Gupta

Pro

5

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

4. Peter Anthony Jabaly

Pro

4

Answered . Speak to your attorney regarding any risks involved with traveling. You may want to speak to a criminal attorney who also practices immigration to understand what the consequences of the convictions will be on your status, if you have one.

5. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

5

Answered . You posted this question twice. Generally it is okay to travel within the US. Issue is about renewal of your green card.