Skip to main content

Can I travel within the U.S. with a criminal record?

Herndon, VA |

My question is can I travel within the U.S. if I have a green card and a criminal record with 2 charges of embezzlement (both misdemeanors)? I have been living in the U.S. for more than 9 years and I got these charges last year and I plead guilty and unfortunately my $10,000 lawyer turned out to be all talk and no show so he did not take care of any of the immigration problems that might occur with this so I just want to fly on a plane within the U.S. and I just want to know if there are any dangers involved.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Traveling within the US should not be a problem. However, since this just happened, you may want to revisit your convictions with another criminal attorney who understands the immigration consequences of criminal convictions.

    Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.

  2. I agree with my colleague.

    Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.

  3. You posted this question twice. Generally it is okay to travel within the US. Issue is about renewal of your green card.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. You should speak to your attorney about any restrictions on your travel. However, whether you may travel outside of Virginia will depend on the terms of your probation. Do you have a probation officer? If so, you will need to secure their permission before your leave the Commonwealth. If you are on unsupervised probation (no probation officer), then you should be free to roam about the country as you please.

    Good luck.

    Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

    James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

    Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

  5. Speak to your attorney regarding any risks involved with traveling. You may want to speak to a criminal attorney who also practices immigration to understand what the consequences of the convictions will be on your status, if you have one.

    The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics