Skip to main content

Can I travel to the U.S. from Canada if I have prior assault conviction and DUI charge

Canada, KY |

I am from canada asking about my boyfriend. 11 years ago he got an assult charge and served 3 months and then 2 years ago got a DUI Charge. Can he travel to the States and would he be eligible for a pardon?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Hello there,

This question is often raised when a U.S. citizen is trying to travel to Canada. Whenever a citizen of the US travels to Canada they must go through customs and declare if they have any prior convictions. At that point it is up to the discretion of the customs officer wether or not to allow the individual into Canada.

Your question is the exact opposite in that you are asking if a Canadian can come to the United States.

There are no areas on U.S. declaration forms to list if a non resident has prior convictions in their country of residence. So yes the individual would be able to travel to the United States.

A link to a sample declarations form is as follows: p://

As far as a pardon goes, you are going to have to speak to an attorney in Canada.


Erick Platten

STE. 410

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer