Can i travel to the bahamas with my RTD as an asylee of the US?

La Crescenta, CA |

i obtained the asylum in sept 2012, and my RTD in january 2013...the cruise is in Oct 2013....is it ok for me to travel to the bahamas via cruise ship and return safely back to the US?

1. In general, an asylee who obtains a refugee travel document can leave and return to the United States. I recommend contacting a qualified immigration attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case to make sure there aren't any other issues that will prevent your entry back to the United States.

Legal disclaimer: By answering this question, there is no intention to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. An attorney-client relationship has not been formed. The answer is not intended as anything other than the opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The answer given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

2. There are two sides to this. First, you need to make sure there is no criminal issue that would prevent your return to the US. If there is not, then probably the fact that they approved the RTD makes it safe from the perspective of whether you will be allowed back in the US without problems.

However, a RTD is not a US passport. You might need a visa to enter a foreign country. That usually depends on your nationality. You should not travel on your foreign passport, however. You need to check with the consulates of the countries you intend to visit.