Can I travel to Saudi Arabia with US Refugee Travel document ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

If not, what Should I do ? is there any other way to go there ?
My National passport is expired.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sure, if the Saudis agree to issue you a visa to enter their country. Call their consulate in NYC and find out what the requirements are.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Anu Gupta


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I dont think refugee status to the US gives you the right to enter Saudi Arabia. It will depend on your nationality and whether you can give a visa to visit.

    Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.... more
  3. Charles Richard Conroy


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Well, if the Saudis give you a visa and let you enter, it should be no problem.

    My question, though, is why did you get a refugee travel document? I ask because if you are a Saudi citizen and were granted asylum in the U.S. because you feared persecution in your home country, returning to Saudi Arabia may very well result in loss of your asylee status. In other words, try and come back to the U.S. and you might find the government trying to revoke your asylum status and have you deported back to Saudi Arabia, if that is your home country.

    You give no information about your status or background, but I mention this just in case it applies to you. Good luck!

    FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION AVAILABLE. Phone (646) 663-5902. Offices in Queens and Manhattan. Website located at... more
  4. Kara Lien Roberts

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If you are a refugee or asylee, you can use a Refugee Travel Document in a similar manner as a passport; if you already have your green card, you can also apply for a re-entry permit (good for two years) instead of a RTD (good for one year) and it can be used in the same way. You are not treated as a citizen of the USA, so whether you would be allowed to enter Saudi Arabia would depend on whether their Embassy would issue you a visa (if you are from a country that would require a visa to travel to Saudi Arabia). You would want to contact the Saudi Arabian Embassy and let them know your situation and see if a visa would be necessary and how to apply for one.

    Another issue to consider is whether you should travel to Saudi Arabia. If you ara refugee/asylee from Saudi Arabia, it is in your interests to not travel to your country of origin/country of claimed persecution. If this is your situation, but you have a need to return to Saudi Arabia then you should definitely consult with an immigration attorney prior to any travel outside the USA and most especially to your country of origin.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,923 answers this week

2,631 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,923 answers this week

2,631 attorneys answering