Can I travel to Puerto Rico with my work permit?

Bronx, NY |

I know that puerto rico is part of the US and I am planning to travel with my friends to puerto rico but I'm not a citizen nor do I have a green card i just have a work permit because of the deferred action.

When you travel to Puerto Rico, what you need is a government issued ID, just like all the other passengers, i.e. a driver's license or a state ID card. I don't recommend flashing out a USCIS issued work authorization card at the TSA checkpoint, lest you want to make everyone aware that you are a foreigner. Apply for a social security card, and once you have it, together with your work permit, go and apply for either a driver's license or a NY state issued ID. You should then have no problem traveling to and back from PR.
Have a good trip!

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Yes

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

I agree with Mr. Behar.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.