Can I travel to Puerto Rico or the BAhamas with a work permit ?

I just got the work permit with DACA. I was wondering if I am able to travel to Puerto Rico, Hawai or the Bahamas? Would there be a problem on the board of entry to the US when coming back?

New York, NY -

Attorney Answers (4)

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Puerto Rico and Hawaii are part of the U.S. However, the Bahamas is an independent country. You would need an advance parole in order to travel there.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
Sponsored Listing
Andres Yoav Mejer

Andres Yoav Mejer

Immigration Attorney - Long Branch, NJ

Can't travel outside the us without advanced parole and expect to be allowed back. For advanced parole it is only for 1 of 3 reasons school, work, and humanitarian reasons. Basically need a solid reason in one of those categories.

Andres Mejer 9 Memorial Parkway, suite B Long branch, NJ 07740 220 Third Street Lakewood, NJ 08701 732-... more
Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

Don't push your luck too far.. Be grateful you just got DACA approved.

While you can travel to PR on your EAD, you cannot expect to be readmitted to the U.S. after having traveled to a foreign country or territory (Bahamas) without an advance parole document.

I would strongly recommend against applying for an advance parole document now.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
Lalita Haran

Lalita Haran

Immigration Attorney - Carmel, IN

What you need is travel authorization. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
13295 Illinois st ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.