Can I travel to Canada and back to the US with a 484(A) PC conviction with a 24 months probation? I am a US alien resident.

Asked over 1 year ago - Glendale, CA

Conviction of 484(A) pc, with an informal probation that will end in February 2014. I am a Canadian citizen, with US residency received by marriage. Is it ok for me to go to Canada for 5 days, and return without having problems at both customs? I would appreciate any help. This is the one and only offence that I have ever had anywhere.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If this a your only conviction, it falls within the "one petty theft" exception and is not a deportable offense,

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Seth Andrew Weinstein

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . U.S. immigration may give you a problem because any theft, even a misdemeanor, is considered a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude. You should consult with an immigration attorney.

    Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Southern California Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient... more
  3. Jesus Novo III

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As I understand it, 484(a) PC in CA is a misdemeanor for petty theft. Even if you get permission from your probation officer to travel, you still could face inadmissibility charges on your way back into the US based on CIMT. My advice, don't travel!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,980 answers this week

3,101 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,980 answers this week

3,101 attorneys answering