Skip to main content

Can I travel outside the US during the 3 months prior applying for Naturalization?

New York, NY |

I had a Permanent Resident Card for the last 5 years and I meet the continuous residence and physical presence requirements.

Attorney Answers 3


Yes. You need to be a resident of the specific state or USCIS district for 3 months immediately before you submit your naturalization application. But you may travel during that time. Residence is different from physical presence. You should consult with an immigration attorney about your naturalization application to have the best chance of success.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Attorney Carlin was there first and said it all. All is left for me is to second his excellent post.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Agree with my colleagues.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics