Can I travel outside the US during the 3 months prior applying for Naturalization?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I had a Permanent Resident Card for the last 5 years and I meet the continuous residence and physical presence requirements.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attorney Carlin was there first and said it all. All is left for me is to second his excellent post.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Michael Hugh Carlin

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. You need to be a resident of the specific state or USCIS district for 3 months immediately before you submit your naturalization application. But you may travel during that time. Residence is different from physical presence. You should consult with an immigration attorney about your naturalization application to have the best chance of success.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of... more
  3. Ji Min Kim


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Agree with my colleagues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,223 answers this week

3,322 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,223 answers this week

3,322 attorneys answering