Can I travel outside of U.S. while the i-130 Petition for Alien Relative, I file on behalf of my husband, is processing?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I'm a graduate student in Egypt; I am returning home to the US for the summer, and my Egyptian fiance plans to visit me and my family while in the US on business. We were thinking of marrying in the US with my family. He would return to Egypt after, and I would file for the i-130 Petition for Alien Relative. Will I be able to leave the US to return to my studies in Egypt, while the paper work is processing? I would need to be in Egypt from late August - December 2013, and I would live with him.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . Theoretically speaking you can, but you would be better off consulting with an immigration attorney in person when you are here.

2. Mark Monaco

2

Answered . Your question leads to a question. If you are a grad student studying in Egypt, are you earning any money? For your fiance to qualify for an immigrant visa you have to qualify as his sponsor - which means you will have to demonstrate that you have been filing tax returns for the last three years AND that your income currently meets 125% of the HHS poverty guideline minimum. If you cannot show this, you will have to make up the difference in assets or find a joint sponsor. If you would like to discuss this further you can submit a written inquiry to me via my website below. Good Luck!

3. Sonia Bromberg

2

Answered . You are a US citizen, you can travel anywhere anytime.
    Your attorney should be able to tend to any paperwork if such need arises.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . Are you a US Citizen? If so, you can travel as much as you wish.

As for him, once he marries you and leaves the US, although the I-130 can be processed ... he'll need to 'stay put' in Egypt for Immigrant Visa processing .... a 7-9 month process.

AND, once his visa is ready, you will need to demonstrate to the US Consul that you have returned, or will be returning shortly, to the US to reside.