Can I Travel out of the country with a record for open container? will i be violating any laws if I Do?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I have gotten an open container ticket in NY back in June and i was wondering if i can leave the country to go on vacation and return before my court appearance on September 19. I would think its a small offense, but i don't want to take any chances and be stopped at the airport or be charged for "fleeing".

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Answered . Should not be an issue. Were you even fingerprinted?

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . It is not fleeing. While a small risk, technically an ICE officer could deny you reentry. You may be able to hire a lawyer to advance the case before you return. I do tthis often.

3. Stephen Charles Cooper

Answered . Have a good trip. Go to Court when you return.

4. Marco Caviglia

Answered . Assuming the open container is a mere violation, there is no re-entry issue

5. John Douglas Lloyd

Pro

Answered . You should be fine. Consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area to clear your conscience if that will help you enjoy the vacation more.