Can i travel if I am married but still under F-1 visa?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hoboken, NJ

I want to renew my visa. I got married a month ago but did not adjust my status. I want to keep my f-1 status for graduate school or renew my opt. ( I can't afford the AOS application yet). Also we want to build a solid application so we are taking our time. Can i still travel? I'm from Europe.

1. Yolanda Navarrete

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Ferrari. It is not wise to delay the AOS application, and certainly not wise to travel until you are LPR.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

1

Answered . F visa is not dual intent, meaning your marriage to a us citizen, and the implied intent to remain permanently in the us, could prevent your reentry into the us if you leave. Consult with an immigration lawyer to discuss the risks, benefits and options. Many, such as me, will work with you in a payment plan for the adjustment process.

3. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . If you married a US citizen, then no. The marriage makes you an intending immigrant and therefore ineligible to enter the US on an F-1 visa.