Skip to main content

Can I travel home to Brazil now that I have a green card?

Boston, MA |

I am Brazilian and have been living in the US from more than 15 years. I was granted asylum some years ago based on discrimination. I have now received my green card. Can I travel home to Brazil to see my family without fear of loosing my green card?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Your "Green Card" is proof that you have been granted Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status, and may be used for re-entry into the U.S. after travel abroad. Relatively short trips abroad will have no impact on your ability to maintain LPR status, but extensive travel raises a risk that the USCIS will deem a person to have abandoned residence in the U.S. (and LPR status). Generally, a single trip abroad of six months to a year creates a (rebuttable) presumption of abandonment of LPR status, and a single absence of a year or longer creates a legal determination of abandonment of LPR status. In some circumstances, however, it is possible to avoid consequences from extensive travel, and if you need to travel extensively it would be helpful for you to get immigration legal advice specifically about that.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not as specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
1800 Century Place, Suite 100
Atlanta, Georgia 30345
404/320-7000 877-232-5352

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer