Can I travel domestically if my F-1 has expired already (but still within the DS-duration of stay indicated by the CBP Officer)?

La Jolla, CA |

purpose of domestic travel is for a meeting with an NGO what are the documents needed? travel date is after the end of program (which is essentially after the F-1 visa expiration date indicated in the US VISA stamp)

1. what matters is whether you have time left on the I-20 not the visa if you are travelling domestically.

--
    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

2. The F-1 visa is simply the document that permitted you entry into the country, its expiration does not have a bearing as to whether you can travel domestically. As a student, maintaining your student status is what keeps you here in status. Speak to your DSO and make sure your I-20 continues to be valid.

Former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 Irvine, CA 92612. Email: info@khurgel.com Office: (949) 509-6515 Direct: (949) 535-6331 Fax: (949) 509-6599. Kindly note that this blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is simply an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

3. The sticker in your passport is meaningless.

The I-94, I-20 and SEVIS papers are the important ones to carry with your passport.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Immigration Topics