Can I travel back to my home country for 2-3 weeks? Can my green card be revoked based on former asylum case? Please advise

Orlando, FL |

I was in court removal proceedings for 3 years based on pending asylum case. Since I married US citizen, my I-130 was approved and then I asked judge to terminate my asylum case. My case was terminated and now I adjusted my status as a permanent resident, and already received my residency 10 year green card. I am in contact in with my parents back in my home country and the situation there has changed to better side. So, does traveling back affect my current residency status or can that traveling cause problem with never-approved asylum case?

Since you were never found to be a refugee, and based on the facts you present, it does not seem that traveling back wold pose you any problems.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Given that you did not obtain a green card through asylum, traveling back to your country of birth/nationality will not have any adverse effects on your green card status.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

As you appeared to be aware for persons filing for asylum or having been granted status in United States based on asylum, travel to the home country may be an issue. However, since you obtain your resident status based on a visa petition from your spouse travel to your own country should not be a concern for your immigration status.