Can I travel abroad if I was convicted of a felony?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

i am a green card holder and was convicted of an felony due to domestic violence last year. I just got a job abroad that will last 3 months. I am concern that re-Entry to The US will not be allowed. Should I be concern? I have permission from criminal court judge and probation officer. Do I need one from ICE?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . Should you travel abroad, upon your return you will be found inadmissible and placed in removal proceedings..

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . You should be concerned

3. Andrew Marino Bramante

4

Answered . It depends on the criminal conviction. What does the statute say, what does your indictment say, what does your plea deal say.
    You should hire a lawyer to do the analysis for you. It should not be too expensive, but it is critically important to determine if your conviction is either an aggravated felony or a "crime of violence" or otherwise makes you inadmissible. Every state's statutes read differently. HIRE A LAWYER, give him/her all your conviction records, and let him/her do the research.

4. Kevin Michael Crabtree

2

Answered . It is very likely that you are deportable and you would be placed in deportation proceedings if you fly back to the U.S. However, there are defenses available. You should get your criminal court records and discuss them with an immigration lawyer.