Can I transfer my small claim suit to superior court for higher settlement?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

This was due to auto accident and the other driver was at fault. My insurance for whatever reason decided to go through arbitration in spite of having an independent witness who stated that the other did not yield the right way and did not attempt to stop at the intersection. Looking at the results of the arbitration my statement and witness statement was not submitted to evidence and it appears that this was one-sided. At the end my insurance paid out to the other carrier and now I am stuck with unpaid medical bills.

1. Wendy Marie Schenk

11

Answered . Many insurance companies have entered into an agreement with each other that they will take disputes as to property damage to inter-company arbitration. Your bodily injury claim is separate from that. You must submit that claim against the other driver yourself. If your bloodily injury claim is potentially worth more than $7,500, you can file in superior court. However, if that is the way you are going to go, you should get an attorney. Keep in mind that parties cannot have attorneys in small claims court. If it is a higher level court, the other insurance company will hire a defense attorney to protect the other driver. You will need to hire your own or else you will be outgunned.

***This response is provided solely for general information purposes and is not intended as legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

2. David Ian Schoen

Pro

12

Answered . You should not be doing this without an attorney. There are a lot of potential minefields here that you need to discuss with an experienced CA personal injury attorney, including whether or not the arbitration findings now precludes your claim.

3. Christopher John Gansen

10

Answered . You need a lawyer ASAP.

4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

8

Answered . Arbitration between the ins cos has no legal effect on your rights. Not admissible in any case you bring. You can pursue other driver for your damages. You should consult with a local lawyer.

Pro

9

Answered . Best bet is to retain a personal injury lawyer so you get maximum compensation. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

6. Samuel Cohen

8

Answered . Retain your own personal injury attorney.

7. Robert Andrew Michael Burns

2

Answered . I am not clear on what was arbitrated nor why.

I am not clear on what was sued upon in Small Claims Court (part of the Superior Court).

I am not clear on your medical bills, and wonder whether Medi-Cal or County Medical Services would pay any of them.

So, I have no further comment.