Skip to main content

Can I transfer my bankruptcy case from the Eastern District to the Western District of WA

Seattle, WA |

Filed in 2006 and received a discharge in Walla Walla. I then moved to Seattle. Later, a business partner, through an attorney that he hired for me (partner refused to work with my attorney), convinced me to sign a promissory note, telling me that the IP needed to be taken out of the BK estate to be used by our LLC. I never received any money, property, or anything else in return for the note. He reopened the case and the BK court transferred title as a good-faith purchaser to the partner.

Long story short, we had a huge legal battle over the last 2 years and the court here dismissed my counterclaim without prejudice for recovery of the asset. I now need to reopen the case and litigate ownership.

Can I change venue to the Western District? Any other thoughts on the issues?

He re-opened the case claiming he was a creditor. The trustee then sold the asset to the business partner

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


First you would have to reopen in the district the case was filed which is within the courts discretion to reopen the case. If it has been a long time since the asset and case was closed likely you wouldn't win a motion to reopen and just throw away money toward the filing fee. The venue must be proper to transfer it to another jurisdiction. Likely the answer is no if the case was properly filed in the old district and the property is located there. You may want to seek the assistance of an attorney to see if it worth pursuing, but it sounds like you waited to long to re-litigate the issue on the old case.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the receiver of such question should consult a local attorney for specific answers to questions.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer