Can I transfer my B1\B2 visa to H1 while I am in USA? My B1\B2 status will expire in August 2014

Asked 10 months ago - Waco, TX

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

4

Answered . Your H-1B if your employer is cap-subject will not permit you to start working until October 1, 2014. So you must either leave the US and return, or find a way to maintain your nonimmigrant status between August and October. Please see

2. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

1

Answered . Unless the H-1B is cap-exempt, it would be effective only on October 1st (assuming it is chosen in a potential lottery and approved). There would be a gap from August-October and you would need to have a valid status during this period or apply for a visa abroad. Discuss the specifics with an immigration attorney for more detailed advice.