Skip to main content

Can I transfer employer with a current J1 to another J1?

Sacramento, CA |

I currently hold a J1 visa as an au pair with the 2 years rule does not apply. I have an employer who would like to hire me to teach in a school and I was wondering if I can just transfer my J1 or what are my options as this new employer would need me asap.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Yes, if the new employer qualifies under the program.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.

  2. Do you wish to work on J-1 or you are looking to change status?

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

  3. It depends on whether the new employer qualifies under the statute. If you are looking to change status it may be difficult. You should contact an immigration attorney to help you with this case and see whether a change is possible.

    Gabriela M. Lopez, Esq.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics