Can I transfer employer with a current J1 to another J1?

Sacramento, CA |

I currently hold a J1 visa as an au pair with the 2 years rule does not apply. I have an employer who would like to hire me to teach in a school and I was wondering if I can just transfer my J1 or what are my options as this new employer would need me asap.

Yes, if the new employer qualifies under the program.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.

Thank you, how do I know if the employer qualifies or not?

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

You go to an immigration attorney and have a consultation.

So nobody here on avvo can help me figure that out? I can't afford lawyer's fees that is why I used avvo.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Many of us here on AVVO offer free or reduced fee consultations.

do you offer free consultation over the phone?

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

yes, but not to people form CA. You have many in CA. I do my fare share of free service for NewYorkers

Do you wish to work on J-1 or you are looking to change status?

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

It depends on whether the new employer qualifies under the statute. If you are looking to change status it may be difficult. You should contact an immigration attorney to help you with this case and see whether a change is possible.

Gabriela M. Lopez, Esq.
www.landerholmlawoffice.com