Can I transfer case in another court?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Smyrna, GA

I am in litigation. My opponent moved to another county. I don't reside in the county of proceedings. Can I transfer case to another county?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. David Mark Kupsky

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Generally in Georgia, a defendant must be sued in his county of residence. As you do not reside in the forum county, I assume you are Plaintiff. If so, barring some other circumstances, the case should be transferred to the county of Defendant's residence.

    This answer is for general purposes only and does not create an attorney/client or confidential relationship which... more
  2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . are you plaintiff or defendant?

    what is the nature of the suit?

    At what stage in litigation is the case?

    The answers will impact whether or not you can change venue.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia.... more
  3. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. You will need to look at the factors used by GA courts to determine motion to change venue and see if you meet those criteria.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more
  4. Constantine D. Buzunis

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . i agree with the other attorneys answers.

    Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,463 answers this week

3,162 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,463 answers this week

3,162 attorneys answering