Can I transfer case in another court?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Smyrna, GA

I am in litigation. My opponent moved to another county. I don't reside in the county of proceedings. Can I transfer case to another county?

1. David Mark Kupsky

1

Answered . Generally in Georgia, a defendant must be sued in his county of residence. As you do not reside in the forum county, I assume you are Plaintiff. If so, barring some other circumstances, the case should be transferred to the county of Defendant's residence.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

Answered . are you plaintiff or defendant?

what is the nature of the suit?

At what stage in litigation is the case?

The answers will impact whether or not you can change venue.

3. Michael T Millar

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. You will need to look at the factors used by GA courts to determine motion to change venue and see if you meet those criteria.

4. Constantine D. Buzunis

Answered . i agree with the other attorneys answers.