Skip to main content

Can I transfer a restricted license?

Mount Vernon, NY |

My license was suspended for 192 days for lack of insurance but received a restricted license. I am now moving to PA and still have about another 3 months to go on the suspension. Will I e able to transfer my restricted license in PA and Register my car.


Attorney Answers 3

  1. That is a question you should post in the Pennsylvania section of Avvo as well as here.

    In general, a person needs a valid underlying privilege to drive in the state he or she is relocating from to surrender in exchange for a license in the new state of residence. The reason is obvious - it prevents motorists from moving to have a privilege restored or expanded.

    That said, Pennsylvania may allow you to have a restricted license there that will mirror the restricted NY license you now possess. See if some PA attorneys can provide some answers in that area.

    Christopher I. Simser, Sr.
    Anelli Xavier
    Syracuse - Albany - Rochester

  2. There is the possibility of a "transfer" but it requires inquiry in Penn to see if they will issue you a Penn license temporarily restricted or allow you to simply use the NYS license for a limited amount of time. Do not simply risk being stopped and learning the hard way that what the law would have allowed or not.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

DUI topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics