Can I transfer a dui Charge from one state to another if I completed the comunity serviceand jail time and need to do classes?

Fort Collins, CO |

I got a DUI in Colorado I completed the victims inpact pannel, the jail time and the comunity service that is required by colorado law. I want to move back to connecticut to finish the alcohol classes is that possible

There is also a prior DUI charge in CT that is 8yrs old. When I got that case off my record the law was for only 7yrs that they would be able to go back on my record. Since then the law changed in 2011 which allows them to go back ten years. Does it go by the old law or the new law since the 7yrs had already passed before they changed the new law?

It is unlikely that you will be able to get supervised probation transferred, because it simply will not be financially worthwhile for either CO or the other state. However, it is quite likely that you can seek to have the Court either modify it to an unsupervised probation or to have it simply continued to be supervised by CO and simply have the treatment that you do in CT report it to CO as you attend.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

You need to contact a CT attorney about your second question.

It can happen one of two ways. Either you continued to be monitored by Co probation while you live in Connecticut or supervision is transferred. The first happens frequently and the second much less so. You can ask the court for permission to move and see what the court would like to do.

Because this is a 2nd offense, you qualify to have your probation transferred under the Interstate Compact. Also, due to this being a 2nd offense, probation is mandatory, so it is highly unlikely that the Judge will terminate probation or even move to unsupervised. If you want a transfer, that can be done by speaking to your probation officer and having him/her start the paperwork and transfer process. This takes quite a bit of time since probation officer's do everything on their own time. You may also have to pay a fee to initiate the process of an interstate compact transfer, but the fee is fairly minimal.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.