Can I threaten a company to sue for false advertising?

Asked over 1 year ago - Plano, TX

I purchased a tablet device that promised a certain amount of storage capacity. About 3 months later i realized that it provides only half the storage capacity because the rest is utilized for the OS and the inbuilt apps and other stuff. I was never informed of this 50% difference in space. I have had to buy more storage and look like a right nitwit in front of a few people for choosing this device. I had chosen this device because it was cheaper and i had to compromise on only a few specifications against another more popular device. I am enraged and want to threaten to sue them to make them compensate me in cash or in kind for more than what I paid them. DO i stand a chance?

1. William B. Short Jr.

2

Answered . Not to seem glib, but I seriously doubt it. If you feel very strongly about it, you might consult with someone who specializes in these types of consumer cases and see if they feel otherwise - but I wouldn't hold my breath.

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

1

Answered . No. I do not think you stand a chance of recovering anything, let alone more than what you paid them. You seem to agree the device actually had the storage capacity claimed but misunderstood that to mean free storage space. I am confident you are wrong in saying you weren't informed. On the contrary, my guess is that you do not understand the customary manner of stating storage capacity. That is not their fault, it's your fault. My suggestion is that you should sell the unit you bought on eBay and buy a replacement with the storage capacity you want. The cost difference should be insignificant and what you would have paid in difference to get what you should have ordered in the first place. The unit you bought was cheaper than one with twice the storage because of the very problems you faced.

3. Daniel Nathan Ballard

1

Answered . Q: "DO i stand a chance?"
    R: That depends on what exactly the tablet device manufacturer promised in its advertisement. There is no doubt that some, indeed many, advertisements convey misleading if not outright untrue information about the product. Assuming the advertisement and other marketing material that persuaded you to purchase the product was misleading, the issue is whether it makes any economic sense for you to respond in some way. The cost of hiring an attorney would be far greater than any benefit you could get in return. And if you, by yourself, "threaten" a false advertisement suit you will not be taken seriously. Because everyone knows that's a bluff. Your only recourse is to persuade an attorney, through a persuasive demonstration of facts, to represent you in a class action suit against the device manufacturer. The burden is on you to make that demonstration. Good luck.

4. Kerry Blasingim

Answered . No, you probably don't. The company rightly informed you of the storage capacity of the internal memory; the fact that pre-loaded programs and the operating system occupy a portion of that space does not change the physical characteristics of the flash drive. Moreover, this would be equally true of any device that you purchased - iPads, Android tablets, and Windows Surface all use a portion of their internal memory for apps and operating system features.