Can I terminate the parental rights of my child's non-custodial parent?

I have had full custody of my four year old daughter since her father abandoned us and we divorced in February, 2007. His wear-abouts are unknown. He does not pay court ordered child support and has made no attempt to contact our daughter in a year. I would like to terminate his rights and have a living will that states that my older son, age 24, would have custody of my daughter, should anything happen to me. I fear that if something were to happen to me, her father would try to get her, and given his history, this would be dangerous for her.

Troy, AL -

Attorney Answers (1)

Bryan Blackwell

Bryan Blackwell

Social Security Lawyers - Dothan, AL

You can file to have his parental rights terminated in either juvenile or circuit court in Pike County. Please call my office at 334-678-7780 if you would like to discuss this further.

Bryan Blackwell
Dothan/Enterprise, AL

Related Topics

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Featured Legal Guides

Mother's rights in child custody

Mother's rights covers the parental rights of the mother. These rights primarily relate to child custody, visitation, and child support.

Featured Legal Guides

Wendy J. Norman

Mothers’ Rights

by attorney

A mother has certain legal rights pertaining to her children. When a mother needs legal assistance with child custody, support, visitation or... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.