Skip to main content

Can I terminate child support for my children who are between 18 and 21 if they are earning more than half their support?

Portland, OR |

Both kids are in school and working, earning more than half of their ordered support. One is taking home $850/mo and the other I can guess is making somewhere between $350 and $400/mo. Although support is paid directly to them, they never have kept it; they give it directly to their dad so the real hardship falls on their dad.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Whether a child attending school is working and earning money or not has no bearing on their right to receive support. See ORS 107.108.

Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:



Thanks. I've been reading over that... but recall my first attorney telling me that if the children started earning at least half their support, they no longer qualified for support. Funny that for minor children child support terminates when they marrie, join the military or become self-supporting (which is subjective) but when they're over 18, only marriage and military apply?

Jay Bodzin

Jay Bodzin


I could be mistaken - if you have the advice of an attorney you've consulted in person about your specific situation, you should certainly take that over anything posted here.



Thanks, Jay - I could be mistaken too. The laws for support continuation for children 18 - 21 are very ambiguous. I am waiting to hear back from the Child Attending School Team from DCS. It would be upon me to file an objection but the form only mentions academic requirements. Just trying to figure out "Plan B" if my ex decides to get greedy. :|

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer