CAN I TAPE RECORD A CONVERSATION BETWEEN MY CHILD AND I WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE?

I live in wisconsin and I currently have joint custody of my 2 boys 9 years old and 6 years. old. The father has primary placement, however, I have evidence that he is abusing them mentally, possibly physically and major neglect. I only get to see them everyother weekend and on wednsdays so I was unaware of how serious things were at the fathers home until recently. I have been taking notes but they are being told by their father not to tell me things and if CPS goes there to question them, they will not tell them the truth. I had recorded conversations with them and I without them knowing I was doing it but it is definately evidence that they are being severlely neglected and in DANGER! CPS will be comming over soon, can I play these recordings to them? Is it legal being I am their mother

Kenosha, WI -

Teri M. Nelson

Teri M. Nelson

Family Law Attorney - Wauwatosa, WI

You can tape anything you want. The question is how the recordings can be used and whether they are admissible in a court of law. If CPS wants to listen to them, they certainly can do that. If a Guardian ad Litem is eventually appointed in your case, they will usually listen to tape recordings as well. However, that doesn't mean you will be able to use them in court.

If you are concerned about your children, CPS isn't the only way to go. You should consider filing a motion in family court to modify placement. Consult with an attorney regarding all of your options.