Can I talk to my boyfriend's public defender?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brockton, MA

My boyfriend has been assigned a public defender. I have relevant information to his case. He was wrongly accused of assault and i have proof of his whereabouts at the time of the alleged assault. Can i approach his lawyer for him?

1. Ilir Kavaja

8

1

Answered . Absolutely!

2. Benjamin Urbelis

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . Yes of course. Is there a particular reason you think you can't?

3. Terri D. Leary

3

1

Answered . Especially if you can prove it, the public defender will want totalk to you. If you have to leave a message, be very clear ( and succinct) about who you are calling about and why. But can't your boyfriend give him the same information?

4. Nicholas Milan Loncar

Pro

5

Answered . There are a few things that limit you being able to talk to your boyfriend's public defender:

1. Their time constraints. It's not unlikely to call a PD and never hear back. They've just got so many cases going on at once, that they may not be able to get back to you.
    2. You're not the client. The PD cannot reveal information relating to the representation to you unless he's OK with it. Even if you were married, it would be his confidential information.

Aside from what I just mentioned, I would highly recommend trying to get in contact with the PD if you have any questions or concerns. No one will know his case as well as the PD assigned to his case.

5. Henry Lebensbaum

2

Answered . You can try.