Can I talk to my boyfriend's public defender?

Brockton, MA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

My boyfriend has been assigned a public defender. I have relevant information to his case. He was wrongly accused of assault and i have proof of his whereabouts at the time of the alleged assault. Can i approach his lawyer for him?

Yes of course. Is there a particular reason you think you can't?

Was just unsure if it would have been considered wrong to approach him first. I just know my boyfriend has not had much contact with him.

Absolutely!

The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.

There are a few things that limit you being able to talk to your boyfriend's public defender:

1. Their time constraints. It's not unlikely to call a PD and never hear back. They've just got so many cases going on at once, that they may not be able to get back to you.
2. You're not the client. The PD cannot reveal information relating to the representation to you unless he's OK with it. Even if you were married, it would be his confidential information.

Aside from what I just mentioned, I would highly recommend trying to get in contact with the PD if you have any questions or concerns. No one will know his case as well as the PD assigned to his case.

Especially if you can prove it, the public defender will want totalk to you. If you have to leave a message, be very clear ( and succinct) about who you are calling about and why. But can't your boyfriend give him the same information?

Providing users with information is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. However, if in reading my response, you are interested in retaining me to represent you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

He is having trouble reaching him.

You can try.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.