Can I take three cats from my mother and my dog (and less known) cat rescue after domestic abuse & maltreatment of the animals?

Springfield, MO |

My mother and I run a dog rescue in Missouri in our home. 20 cats and 10 dogs in her home. She only has vet work on the dogs. She always had hid the cats.This past year or two, she became unlicensed because of the cats not having sufficient room. After all of this, she still charges an adoption fee and keeps the money. Aside of all that, she's gotten progressively negligent looking over the dogs all having mange or feeding cats dog food which cats cannot survive on when she has a shed of cat food. This past month, she both choked me for selling my personal possessions and wants me to get out of her house. Which is fine... but I would like to take a portion on the animals. I'm on her paperwork as her vice president as well. Can I just take a select number of cats?

Because this is about the animals, I do not think you want to treat this like a question of property disposition. If animals are being abused, you need to contact the animal control center and have them do a home inspection based on your allegations. If they conclude that the animals are being abused or neglected, they will remove the animals from the household. You can certainly make it clear to animal control that you are willing to adopt, or help find homes for animals that do get taken.

As far as your being Vice President, I would not rely on that issue at this time. Do you really want to emphasize your association with a rescue organization that abuses and/or neglects animals. If you want to help animals in the future, separately incorporate, and start afresh.

Animal law topics