Skip to main content

Can i take this to court and what can i get him for?

West Blocton, AL |

my mom bought me a car. the guy she bought it from has the bill of sale from the original owner but never had the title put in his name. the guy my mom bought it from wrote my mom a bill of sale and gave her the title. my uncle who i lived with went behind my moms back and wrote a bill of sale from the original owner so he could have the title put in his name. the original owner and the guy my mom bought it from are good friends and are willing to testify if necessary

Attorney Answers 1


To file a claim in court you have to be what lawyers call an injured party. What happened here did not economically harm you. You have not lost money. Your legal rights are not impacted. You would have no claim. Your mom, though, paid money and she is the injured party if she nevfer got the title to the car she bought and put it into her name before your uncle took it. She may have bought it for you, but since she never got the title, she could not legally give it to you. She should talk to a local lawyer to find out what can be done in your state. She and the original owner will both be witnesses in court in the case and will need to prove the claim by showing that the original owner had good title and sold the vehicle to her and she paid for it and the title was taken from her without her consent. All of this can be confusing and the law is a little different from state to state. Contract Law is a little different in each state. You need to talk to a local attorney who deals with Contract Law issues. You can look for one here on Avvo under the Find a Lawyer tab. Or you can call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Contract Law attorney near you. But act quickly because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to actually file a case in court or your rights expire (it's called the statute of limitations), so don't waste your time getting to an attorney and finding out what your rights are. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote UP” review below. And be sure to indicate the best answer to your question so we can all be sure we are being helpful. Thanks for asking and Good Luck. Ron Burdge,

For a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers, click here

Click here for a list of state and local attorney bar associations

Prefer to talk to a woman attorney? Click here for a list of state and local women attorney’s bar associations

What are attorney bar associations and how do they work? Get Wikipedia’s answer here

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your state may differ and your best answer will always come from a local attorney that you meet with privately. If you need a Consumer Law attorney, click the link above to find a Consumer Law attorney near you.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Lemon law topics

Recommended articles about Lemon law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics