Can I take someone who owes me $500 to small claims court even if it was a verbal agreement?

Asked 10 months ago - Herndon, VA

Verbal agreement to transport person's child to and from school for 5 months-Jan-May for $500.00 dollars a month. Person is insisting they paid me for the month of May. I have bank statements (deposit record w/ check numbers) to show they did not. She has yet to get her banking information. I have spoken to her on the phone and through text and she has said she will get her banking info. She has not. She also emailed me back and forth to my job email claiming to have paid me. Do I have a chance of getting the money she owes me?

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Oral agreements are valid in VA.
    Small claims is the place to go for your case.
    Whether you can win or not depends on your abilitity to tell your story and draw upon SOME evidence tending to prove the existence of an agreement as against what your opponent argues. Judge will weigh the arguments and render a judgment.

2. JohnPaul Callan

Pro

Answered . Yes.

3. Peter Anthony Jabaly

Pro

Answered . Yes, but you have to burden of proving that an agreement existed.