Can I take someone to court for Slander and Defamation of Character

Asked almost 2 years ago - Roseville, MI

If you had a disagreement with someone, went to court, didnt get justice she thought she deserved, and started talking about me on the internet.. Can I do anything about it??

1. Ezra N. Goldman

5

Answered . You might be able to get an injunction to prevent her from doing this. As to suing her for defamation, you would have to prove your damages. Did you lose your job because of what she said? That sort of thing. Not everything bad behavior results in money. And in case you DO have damages, does she have money to pay a judgment?

2. John F. Brennan

4

Answered . I would need to be engaged, presented with all of the facts and could then provide you with an opinion on your case. Yes, it is possible to to have actionable occurrences of slander, liable and defamation of character due to publications on the internet.
    It is also possible to seek and receive a cease and desist order to prevent them continuing.
    The process will only occur if you invest your time and money into legal fees to make it happen. Please also realize that in these cases damages are difficult to prove, and if this is an individual of limited means and assets, even more difficult to collect should you prevail.

3. Susan Pernick

4

Answered . I'm not sure if you took someone to court, or if she took you. If you sued her and lost, you can't sue her again, even in a different court. That's called res judicata.

However, if she sued you and she lost you can sue her, but not for anything she did/said/wrote in the court case. Statements/writings in a court proceeding are immune from liability, and therefore suit.

This is a tricky part of the law, so if you still have questions, or if you think you can sue, it would be best if you have a lawyer. If you can find a lawyer who offers free consultations, and is willing to take a case like this on a contingent fee basis.

4. Gary A Kester

4

Answered . My comment is not so much legal: It sounds like a viscious circle is about to begin. Principle costs Principal.