Can I take someone to court for Slander and Defamation of Character

Asked almost 2 years ago - Roseville, MI

If you had a disagreement with someone, went to court, didnt get justice she thought she deserved, and started talking about me on the internet.. Can I do anything about it??

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Ezra N. Goldman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You might be able to get an injunction to prevent her from doing this. As to suing her for defamation, you would have to prove your damages. Did you lose your job because of what she said? That sort of thing. Not everything bad behavior results in money. And in case you DO have damages, does she have money to pay a judgment?

  2. John F. Brennan

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would need to be engaged, presented with all of the facts and could then provide you with an opinion on your case. Yes, it is possible to to have actionable occurrences of slander, liable and defamation of character due to publications on the internet.
    It is also possible to seek and receive a cease and desist order to prevent them continuing.
    The process will only occur if you invest your time and money into legal fees to make it happen. Please also realize that in these cases damages are difficult to prove, and if this is an individual of limited means and assets, even more difficult to collect should you prevail.

    To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for you choice with more detaiils and an... more
  3. Susan Pernick

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm not sure if you took someone to court, or if she took you. If you sued her and lost, you can't sue her again, even in a different court. That's called res judicata.

    However, if she sued you and she lost you can sue her, but not for anything she did/said/wrote in the court case. Statements/writings in a court proceeding are immune from liability, and therefore suit.

    This is a tricky part of the law, so if you still have questions, or if you think you can sue, it would be best if you have a lawyer. If you can find a lawyer who offers free consultations, and is willing to take a case like this on a contingent fee basis.

    I am an attorney admitted solely in NY. None of the answers I submit on this forum constitutes legal advice,... more
  4. Gary A Kester

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My comment is not so much legal: It sounds like a viscious circle is about to begin. Principle costs Principal.

    I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,737 answers this week

3,114 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,737 answers this week

3,114 attorneys answering