Can I take parents to court if they guy that hit me was a minor?

Asked about 2 years ago - Lady Lake, FL

I was involved in an accident, the other party was at fault but he was also a minor. I hired a lawyer that told me there was no insurance for the driver at all and no bodily injury insurance for the parents. Is there anyway that I can take his parents to civil court? I feel that someone on that end has to be responsible.......

1. Jeffrey Scott Altman

10

Answered . To properly answer the question we need more information. Generally, you may be able to sue the parents but that certainly does not mean that you will end up with money at the end of the case. There may be insurance coverages that would provide benefits to you that you are not aware of. It sounds like you were and may still be a minor. I suggest you gather all of your paperwork and you and your parents (or guardian) meet with a qualified lawyer in your community.

2. Michael Dustin Sechrest

Pro

9

Answered . To view this email as a web page, go
    here.

If you have uninsured motorist coverage you should make a claim with your
    own insurance company. If not, you should ask your attorney whether there
    is any potential claim for dangerous instrumentality or negligent
    supervision. If so, you would possible have a claim, but collection could
    be an issue. You could run an asset search to minimize the collection
    issue.

Michael D. Sechrest, Esq.

Board Certified by the Florida Bar

Fisher, Butts, Sechrest & Warner, P.A

5200 SW 91st Terrace, Suite 101

Gainesville, Florida 32608

(352)373-5922

(352)373-5921 fax

CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE Information transmitted by this email is
    proprietary and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to
    which it is addressed, and may contain information that is private,
    privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
    you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been
    forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or
    dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In
    such cases, please delete this mail from your records. No waiver of
    attorney-client privilege is intended under any circumstances.

_____

3. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

8

Answered . Yes.
    Do you have UM?
    Have you consulted a lawyer?
    There is more than one way to skin this.
    Get counsel.

4. Fadi Chakour

6

Answered . The first step is to check for insurance coverage, BI, UM or UIM. If none, then the second step is to check and see if the responsible parties have any assets that you can go after. If none, then it will be very hard for an attorney to recover anything. Good luck

Attorney Fadi Chakour, M.D., J.D. My consultation is free. Call me on my cell phone (904)612-0586.
  5. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

6

Answered . Since you have hired a lawyer, you should pose all of your questions to him or her. I am sure that your attorney has told you that this is the time to turn to your own uninsured motorist coverage, since there does not appear to be coverage on the adverse party. Speak with your attorney.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  6. Sean Michael Patrick

7

Answered . I would consult with an attorney to explore the other options listed above. Probably the best way to address this is to file a claim with your insurance and let them fight with the kid and his family. Best of luck.

7. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

5

Answered . In Florida, for minor to get a drivers license one of the minor's parents has to agree to be responsible for any damages done by the minor. So one or both of the parents will be liable. However, that does not mean that that parent has insurance or assets to pay a judgment.

If you have underinsured motorist coverage, either that you purchased a that is implied by law, you need to make that claim immediately.

If not, you are your lawyer needs to investigate the parents' assets as well as whether the minor was on an errand for somebody else (like delivering pizzas for Domino's).

Pro

6

Answered . Do you have Uninsured Motorist Coverage UM on your own policy? A personal injury lawyer can go after that money.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  9. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

5

Answered . Yes you can, but better get local counsel to help you with a claim against your own insurance, just n case you have underinsured/uninsured coverage. Best of luck.

10. Jason M. Melton

Pro

2

Answered . In short, yes.

However, more importantly you need to exhaust all options for applicable insurance coverage.

Speak to your lawyer or a new lawyer immediately.