Can I take my name off a bond I co-signed on?

Asked about 3 years ago - Troy, MI

I co-signed for a bond for a friend to get out of jail. If he skips his court they said i will be out $3000. He has never missed court before but i just want to know if at any time can I take my name off the bond? Will that cost me anything? I would give cooperation to the bond company to bring my friend back to jail if they needed me too. I dont think he would ever run from his court date but I just want to ease my mind that there is something I can do if i get nervous! Thanks

1. James P. Frederick

Answered . I agree with Attorney Koslyn on this. You are almost certainly stuck on the hook for this one. If your friend is willing to jeopardize your money and your friendship by blowing off the court proceedings, then he is not worth worrying about. You have done everything you can do on this, and now it is up to your friend.

James Frederick

2. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . No, not unless the bond says that a co-signer can terminate their obligation. As with any question that asks "what does my contract say, what have I agreed to, and what are my rights?" no lawyer can respond in any meaningful way without reviewing the document in question.

Never, ever, sign and commit to anything that you don't fully understand.