Can I take legal action on a police officer, civil or other?

Asked about 1 year ago - Summerville, SC

one year after abandoning our two children, spouse and a stranger shows up and tries to snatch my daughter from me. An officer arrives at scene and detains me, away from my daughter allowing my spouse to get hands on child. While my daughter was traumatized, officer stood in my way allowing spouse and stranger to abduct her and run off. Spouse admitted the children were living with me. and on a promise to that officer, they would return the child back to me the next day on brother's Officer denied me an incident report nor wanted to see my court papers.
The sole judgement made by that officer that day has caused us great pain by resulting in child removed from her home and school. To date, I can not find them, Several non family witnesses will testify this.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John A. Jackson

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You may not receive any compensation but depending on what your "court papers" said it might be worth going to an attorney. Depending on your court papers your ex might have violated a law concerning parental kidnapping. I do not think that an attorney would take this case on a contingent fee but it might be worth it for you to go and speak with an attorney.

    This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on any... more
  2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Almost certainly not (immunity) but worth seeing a local family law attorney to discuss your options.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,007 answers this week

3,124 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,007 answers this week

3,124 attorneys answering