Can I take legal action on a police officer, civil or other?

Summerville, SC |

one year after abandoning our two children, spouse and a stranger shows up and tries to snatch my daughter from me. An officer arrives at scene and detains me, away from my daughter allowing my spouse to get hands on child. While my daughter was traumatized, officer stood in my way allowing spouse and stranger to abduct her and run off. Spouse admitted the children were living with me. and on a promise to that officer, they would return the child back to me the next day on brother's b.day Officer denied me an incident report nor wanted to see my court papers.
The sole judgement made by that officer that day has caused us great pain by resulting in child removed from her home and school. To date, I can not find them, Several non family witnesses will testify this.

1. Almost certainly not (immunity) but worth seeing a local family law attorney to discuss your options.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

2. You may not receive any compensation but depending on what your "court papers" said it might be worth going to an attorney. Depending on your court papers your ex might have violated a law concerning parental kidnapping. I do not think that an attorney would take this case on a contingent fee but it might be worth it for you to go and speak with an attorney.

This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on any specific issue. Transmission of the information contained in this response is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The Law Office of John A. Jackson only practices law where properly authorized to do so and does not seek to represent anyone in any other jurisdiction. This site does not make use of any secure encryption technology, and any transmissions to the Law Office of John A. Jackson may be intercepted by third-parties. DO NOT send us any information that you regard as privileged or confidential. John A. Jackson is licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. You should not act upon the information contained herein without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.