Skip to main content

Can i take legal action if, ,my child was physically attacked in school today?

Savannah, GA |

He was slammed to the ground, they was kicking him, and punching him, and they said thats what you get for being a snitch.

Attorney Answers 7

  1. I am so sorry this happened to your boy! I assume you are saying other children hurt him? Please take him to a pediatrician and have the doctor make sure he is okay, and to document the incident. Call the police - a young age does not grant anyone the right to physically harm others, it is still a crime. Write a letter to the school requesting action on two fronts: to appropriately discipline the perpetrators, and to assure your son's safety.

    Whether or not further civil action can be taken depends on many factors including the school's response and their prior knowledge. A personal injury attorney can better assist you, so I will re-tag this for the appropriate experts.

  2. A peson can almost always take some form of "legal action." What is your goal? The other kids arrested and charged? Removed from school? A big check from their parents? Were there injuries? Medical bills? How old are all of them? Certainly, you should be addressing this with school admin. What are the ramifications for taking legal action? Would your son need to find a new school? Pursue by contacting the police or a lawyer.

  3. Consult a local GA personal injury attorney. There might well be a claim for inadequate security against the school district - or course also against the attackers (homeowners or renters insurance claim can be made - but, sometimes coverage will be denied due to intentional act)

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

  4. School cases are tough. You will need to consult with an attorney to get all your questions answered.

    The information provided is for general information purposes only. Receipt of this information or e-mail from our website, or other communications should NOT be construed as legal advice for any individual case or situation, nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to contact me, my webpage is Rockefeller Law

  5. Not legal action as most people think, but there are some things you can do to deal with & address this situation in hopes that it does not occur again.

    Sam Levine, Esq.
    (404) 303-8875

  6. It depends on more facts. Did the school somehow facilitate this or turn a blind eye to complaints/ warnings? The school has to be somehow at fault in order to sue them. You may be able to get your son;s medical bills paid for by the school. Ask them. You can file criminal charges against the students as well. Good luck.

    The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

  7. There are various options, so call a local personal injury lawyer in your city or state in the morning to discuss.

Child abuse topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics