Can i take legal action if, ,my child was physically attacked in school today?

Asked about 1 year ago - Savannah, GA

He was slammed to the ground, they was kicking him, and punching him, and they said thats what you get for being a snitch.

1. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

5

Answered . A peson can almost always take some form of "legal action." What is your goal? The other kids arrested and charged? Removed from school? A big check from their parents? Were there injuries? Medical bills? How old are all of them? Certainly, you should be addressing this with school admin. What are the ramifications for taking legal action? Would your son need to find a new school? Pursue by contacting the police or a lawyer.

2. Erin Patricia Farley

6

Answered . I am so sorry this happened to your boy! I assume you are saying other children hurt him? Please take him to a pediatrician and have the doctor make sure he is okay, and to document the incident. Call the police - a young age does not grant anyone the right to physically harm others, it is still a crime. Write a letter to the school requesting action on two fronts: to appropriately discipline the perpetrators, and to assure your son's safety.

Whether or not further civil action can be taken depends on many factors including the school's response and their prior knowledge. A personal injury attorney can better assist you, so I will re-tag this for the appropriate experts.

3. A James Rockefeller

4

Answered . School cases are tough. You will need to consult with an attorney to get all your questions answered.

4. Sam Louis Levine

4

Answered . Not legal action as most people think, but there are some things you can do to deal with & address this situation in hopes that it does not occur again.

Sam Levine, Esq.
    (404) 303-8875

5. Michael R Crosner

4

Answered . Consult a local GA personal injury attorney. There might well be a claim for inadequate security against the school district - or course also against the attackers (homeowners or renters insurance claim can be made - but, sometimes coverage will be denied due to intentional act)

Pro

3

Answered . There are various options, so call a local personal injury lawyer in your city or state in the morning to discuss.

7. Matthew C Simon

Pro

2

Answered . It depends on more facts. Did the school somehow facilitate this or turn a blind eye to complaints/ warnings? The school has to be somehow at fault in order to sue them. You may be able to get your son;s medical bills paid for by the school. Ask them. You can file criminal charges against the students as well. Good luck.