Can I take legal action against my lawyer?

Asked over 2 years ago - Powder Springs, GA

Please help- I was arrested about a 1.5 years ago for DUI (I did not blow or give a blood sample). I had another person's prescription for pain pills and was charged with a felony. I hired a lawyer and paid him $2500 to represent me.I went to court three times for the felony and he never showed up. Eventually the charges were dropped due to the evidence (the pills) being "lost" and the cop not showing up. Now I must go to court this Monday to face the DUI charge and my lawyers secretary informed me that my lawyer had more important cases to work on and will not be coming. What was the money spent on and can I sue to get it back? It seems as he, the lawyer, robbed me. Now I must find a new lawyer who is not familiar with the case. Is there any recourse I can take?

1. Kimberly Keheley Frye

Pro

6

Answered . Lawyers have a set protocol on where they appear first when they have cases set at the same time which is a Superior Court rule. Felony cases come before misdemeanors. You should contact your lawyers office to see if they still represent you in your DUI case. Just because your lawyer cannot appear on Monday does not mean you will not have a lawyer on a later date. It is important that you speak with your lawyer to figure out what you need to do next to resolve your DUI case.

2. John Matthew Leace

1

Answered . You can certainly attempt to sue your attorney. Additionally, you could start by contacting your state bar, they regulate the conduct of attorneys.

3. Steven Alan Fink

1

Answered . File a complaint with the Georgia Bar. See link below. They should help you get a refund.