Can I take legal action against my landlord for no heat and no hot water in NYC.

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

This has happened twice this winter where we have had no heat or no hot water.
What legal action do I have.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . File an HPD action in landlord tenant court. They will send an inspector to report back to the judge. When you go to court you will have a city lawyer represent you to require the landlord to repair all the violations and schedule an access date and time to get into your apartment to make repairs inside if necessary. Good Luck.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
  2. Steven Warren Smollens

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Dear can I take legal action against my landlord for no heat and hot water?

    Yes you can. There is a court proceeding you can use known as an HP Proceeding brought by a tenant in Housing Court against the landlord to compel repairs, a court order to correct, and the imposition by the City of fines and penalties, against the landlord.

    Read more at:

    Inadequate heat and loss of heat or no heat, are among the most troubling of landlord deprivations for a tenant to prove if caught in a court case. Without the city issuing violations the chance that you could prove the lack of heat is not great. Tenants are often instructed to maintain daily written records of temperature inside the home and outdoor temperature to establish the lack of heat for the time when there is no violation recorded.

    Make telephone call complaints of lack of heat and hot water to 311. You can make daily calls or as often as needed to assure that an inspector will come to your home.

    You start the legal process by sending written notice to the landlord. You make sure to keep proof that you sent written notice to the landlord.

    Read more here:

    Good luck.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should... more
  3. Yefim Rubinov

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Go to landlord tenant court and commence an HP proceedings against the landlord. Go now!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,182 answers this week

3,056 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,182 answers this week

3,056 attorneys answering