Can I take legal action against an employer in NY who made me sign a contract & leave my old job but reneged on their job offer?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I left my Bank A due to an offer from Bank B. I was told by the headhunter (Bank B representative) to NOT accept any counter offers or change my mind once the contract was signed...I did just that. 2 weeks after I left, Bank A sued me (but they withdrew the case a month later) and Bank B withdrew their offer even though the suit from Bank A was withdrawn and no party was guilty of any charges (nothing took place in essence - we didn't even go to court).

Since then I have been unable to find suitable work, filed for bankruptcy, lost my house to foreclosure and fallen behind on child support payments. In 2 recent cases, after I made it to the last round of the interviews, I was passed over because of the lawsuit details on google. Is there anything I could do to get compensated?

Bank A tried to counter offer but as per the headhunter's advice, I did not take it - In retrospect, I should've. After leaving, I had a 3 month garden leave that was extended to 7 months by Bank A due to the legal issues we went through. However, for another person in my group joining the exact same team in Bank B, the garden leave imposed by Bank A was only 3 months - Felt that I was unnecessarily targeted.

1. 3

1

Answered . I agree that this is too complicated a fact pattern to answer over the web. I recommend that you consult an employment attorney to review the contract and the discuss what took place after it was signed.

2. 3

1

Answered . Consult a labor attorney to flesh out who the potential target could be and how, since this is a complicated situation.

3. 2

1

Answered . There are a variety of factors at play based upon the facts you have given. You may want to arrange a consultation with an attorney.

4. 1

1

Answered . Yes you have a colorable theory of tortious interference from your old employer as you had a signed contract in place with new employer.....all depends if you all signed a stipulation of settlement and what it says and whether with or without prejudice as to fundamental facts... I would have to review case details as to whether your seeking employment itself was a breach of contract with respects to A and therefore employer B was essentially interfering with your original contract with employer
    A.....which I suspect was the basis for the now dismissed litigation.