Can I take legal action against a mechanic who caused significant damage to my car and drove it unauthorized?

Asked over 4 years ago - Bethesda, MD

I brought my car to a mechanic, who not only failed to fix the small problem, he created extensive damage totalling over $7,000. I have had multiple estimates on my car, and all say that the damage was caused by his performance and was 100% preventable. As a little side note, this mechanic (who had possenion of my car over a weekend) took the car on a joyride and I recieved a speeding ticket in the mail time stamped for 4:20 a.m. I asked that the court send the ticket to his address. My question is whether or not this mechanic can be held liable for any of this? We had no set contract, and he asked me to write all checks to him personally so that he wouldn't have to file taxes. In retrospect this was stupid of me, but I want to protect myself now and I need to get a new car. Thank you

1. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . Certainly you can take legal action against the mechanic, however, you will need to be able to prove any allegations made against mechanic by a preponderance of the evidence. This will in all likelihood mean that you will need to retain the services of expert mechanic to detail the things done wrong by the mechanic you are suing.

You will need to weigh the time and costs involved and the likelihood of success against the amount of damages you believe you have sustained.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.