Can i take care of my warrent without going to jail? if so, how?

Livonia, MI |

i got a super DUI a year ago. my lawyer didnt show up for court even after i paid him. i left the courthouse without seeing a judge. my lawyer proceeded to ignore any phone calls from my family and I. i have no previous criminal record. Nothing on my record period other then traffic tickets.

1. How long ago was the warrant issued? Generally speaking, the sooner you deal with a warrant, the better the chances of mitigating any potential consequences. I would recommend consulting with and hiring another attorney to deal with this and handle the underlying case. Whoever you hire may be able to assist in getting a refund from the attorney that you paid that failed to show up for court. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm.

2. Generally, your lawyer not coming is not an excuse for you not to come. This is especially true if you haven't entered in your appearance. It looks much better for you if you turn yourself in than if you are arrested for the open warrant. I'd take care of it at once with another attorney.

-Scott Aaronson
    Local Criminal Defense Attorney
    Free Consultations 877-I-CAN-WIN

3. There may be some law enforcement agencies, like there are in Colorado, that will allow you to post a bond and not be taken into custody. This will set a new court date for you without actually having to be incarcerated for a few hours or over night.

You need to speak with attorneys in your area to see if this is an option for you.

Search Avvo for criminal defense and/or DUI defense attorneys near you. Many will offer a free initial consult.

Best of luck to you.

John Buckley

No answer here should be considered to form an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction so that a full evaluation of the facts of your case can be conducted.

4. As a Livonia criminal law attorney, I know that it will be better to show up with new counsel. You may have some sort of claim against your old attorney, but you still need to take care of business.

5. I reccomend you contact an attorney that specializes in DUI matters Immediately!

I have a friend who specializes in DUI matters:

Edward A. Cherniak—P11823
    30445 Northwestern Hwy Ste 320
    Farmington Hills, MI 48334
    Phone: (248) 855-6688
    Fax: (248) 539-1114
    e-Mail: cherniak@comcast.net

Good luck...

If I can be of additional assistance please feel free to email me at james@weineresq.com or call me at 248-901-0750. Please also note that I answered this question with general knowlege of the law and with limited disclosure from you, my answer does not create an attorney client relationship and I cannot be held responsible for how you, the asker, use the information I provide.

DUI court topics