Skip to main content

Can i take back a guilty plea and if so, when?

Washington, DC |

i plead guilty to a lesser charge, however, after again reviewing all the evidence, i feel that during the motion hearing my attorney failed to bring forth a key witness and during cross examination failed to present key evidence that i feel would have gotten my suppression motion granted. when i asked, he said that the witness and evidence weren't necessary and as a result i ended up entering a plea of guilty to avoid mandatory jail time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you took a conditional plea (meaning you reserved the right to appeal the findings of fact from motion hearing) you can appeal. Remember you have only 30 days in which to note an appeal in the District of Columbia. Furthermore, you can file a motion to withdraw your guilty plea but I would advise you to get a lawyer if you going to do that because it is not easy to withdraw a guilty plea. In order to get your plea withdrawn you after sentencing the must be a showing of "manifest injustice."

This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer