Skip to main content

Can I take Adverse Possession of my neighbor's condo property - he lives in 1213A, I live in 1213B?

Fullerton, CA |

The owner in not legally Competent due to medical reasons. Her son used to live in the condo but he was arrested on multiple charges and is now banned from the home. He also used to steal our electricity and climb into our attic without permission . Their home is a 1 bed room and ours is a 2 bedroom - ours is much bigger but we are considered the "B" condo, 1213 B Victoria is the address. I would like to sue my neighbor and take over his property and make it one unit. The electric and plumbing is some how connected and every time they do some work on the home it affects our home. My mother has not not been able to use her sinks for over a year because of the mayhem next door. Now a pastor is taking care of the home and making sure the druggies stay out. What can I do for my mother?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You will need to make an offer and a good faith purchase of the property from the legal owner. You have no prospects of success under adverse possession laws.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

  2. I agree with the above. The fact that a pastor us taking care of the property makes it almost impossible for you to acquire the property via adverse possession. Try acting in good faith.

    *** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am ethically required to state that the answer I have provided you does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered GENERAL legal education and are intended to provide GENERAL information about the question asked. Since the law can change on a day to day basis, information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney after meeting with the attorney and informing them of all facts relevant to your question. Please keep in mind, that the smallest omitted detail has the potential to completely change an answer. Therefore, this answer is provided solely as a GENERAL answer and should be treated as HIGHLY LIKELY to be edited upon a proper consultation with an attorney.

  3. I don't see adverse possession being possible on the facts you describe.
    If you have suffered some sort of injury or damage, you could sue the neighbor. If you prevail and get a judgment, you might be able to satisfy the judgment by taking possession of the condo. But that would take a few years, probably.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics