Can I take a margin from my users on-line transactions ?

New York, NY |

I will be running a website that lets users create events . I was wondering if I could add a feature that allows the event organizer to accept registration fees from attendees through our on-line system . We would take a 5% margin of the transactions before handing them over to the organizer . Of course we would have to tell payees that we take no responsibility for the events .

It's legal and 5 percent sounds too cheap. Most event organizers would be happy to pay more than that. You should have a professionally written disclaimer, and your agreement with those operating events who post on your site should include an indemnity provision.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

What if the event was a tournament and the organizer offered prize money for tournament winners? It's out of our control but it could definitely happen.

This sounds fine..I agree 5% sounds low.

The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.

Of course you can take a percentage for your services. Just have a solid business setup, including strong terms of use and privacy policies. Whenever your software collects user information, you have to be extremely cautious on how you use it and safeguard it. Otherwise the FTC will penalize you severely. See short article for more information.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights