Can I take a full deduction of $16,000 (property taxes) on my tax return. ex-wife & I own the house she lives in as tenincommon

Asked over 1 year ago - Albany, NY

ex-wife's home is owned by her and I as tenants in common on the deed.
I paid property taxes of $16,000 since she couldn't and a lein would have been placed on the property. I live in an apartment.

1. Richard Albert Luthmann

Pro

2

Answered . You cannot deduct that amount but you can seek to have her pay her share of the taxes. If she does not want to, you can bring an action for a partition sale of the property. If she does not want to pay for the expenses of the property, you can force her to move and be done with her insofar as you are no longer co-owners of the property.

2. Evan A Nielsen

1

Answered . There are several ways of claiming the property tax as a deduction against your income but because of the circumstances you describe, there's some complexity involved. Consult with a tax attorney or give us a call for the details.

Evan A. Nielsen

1255 W. Colton Ave., #506 | Redlands, CA 92374
    Main: 909.363.4658 | Fax: 480.304.3211
    Evan.Nielsen@NLGLaw.com
    www.NielsenLawGroup.net

Mention this post for a free consultation