Can I take a business to small claims in OR if they do business here and I only worked here but they have offices in WA?

Asked about 2 years ago - Portland, OR

My employer failed to pay my wages within the guidelines of Oregon Law. As a penalty I am now entitled to 8 hrs per day pay for every day it remains unpaid with a few limitations. Can I sue them for this balance in Oregon if they have a business registered here and I worked in Oregon, but the company is based in Washington and does most of its business there? Can I also seek those additional penalities as outlined in ORS 652.150 in small claims?

1. David A Schuck

4

1

Answered . Generally speaking, if you worked for a company in Oregon, and you were based in Oregon, then you can sue for any unpaid wages, and penalty wages. (that is what we call the 8 hours per day penalty). There may be other wage issues that you can sue for. In addition to the wages and penalties, you may be entitled to recover your attorney fees should you choose to retain one. Some firms offer a free consultation and take wage and hour claims on a contingency fee basis, essentially being paid by your employer to win your case.

2. Jay Bodzin

Answered . Consult with an attorney who practices employment law. If you were denied wages, you may be entitled to remedies above and beyond what you can get in small claims court.

If the work was done in Oregon, you should be able to sue in Oregon. But check with an attorney first, in private.

3. Raphael Samuel Moore

Answered . Try also contacting the local state labor board office. State's labor board are there to protect their state employees, regardless of where the employer is based.