Can I switch employers after I140 approval ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chandler, AZ

My Green Card is being processed by my employer . It was filed in EB - 2 and my I140 just got approved . Can I switch jobs now and be able to continue my Green Card Application with a new employer or is there some kind of waiting period before I do this ? Please advise .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Dwight David Myfelt

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have an I-485 pending for more than 6 months (which it would appear you do not), and you switch employers now, your new employer will have to start a new case for you. You will get to use the priority date from your old case, but you will still need a new case. If your priority date is current, you should consider filing the I-485, waiting six months, and then port to a new employer, in which case you would not need a new I-140. If your PD is not current, then, depending on how long you think it will before your PD becomes current, and how badly you want to move, you may want to go ahead and move. You will, however, need to do an H-1B transfer to the new employer.

  2. Cynthia Beth Rosenberg

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You indicated that it was just approved. You may switch jobs (and will probably need a new H1B since you do not have a work card) You will need to start all over with the new employer on an I-140 filing. I agree with my colleague above about the priority date.

    Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. If the line of work is the same.

Related Topics

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Employment-based green cards

An immigrant may be eligible for permanent resident status if he or she has been offered a job in the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,935 answers this week

2,985 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,935 answers this week

2,985 attorneys answering