Can I surrender my car if I can afford the payments after a chapter 7.

Asked over 2 years ago - Portsmouth, VA

I really would rather surrender my car when I file for chapter 7.

1. John Gerth Merna

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . During a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy you are required to state your "intentions" with regards to secured creditors such as vehicle loans. In general, you only have three options: reaffirm, surrender or redeem. Reaffirm means to reobligate yourself once again on the vehicle loan making it a debt that survives the bankruptcy. If you miss payment or the vehicle is repossessed after the bankruptcy you will owe any balance due.

Surrendering a vehicle is quite clear but you have a fixed time to honor this commitment. Speak with your bankruptcy attorney about this timeline.

Redeem is to pay the fair market value of the vehicle, generally based on the Kelley Blue Book or NADA guide, and wipe out any balance owed above this fair market value. Most people going through bankruptcy unfortunately do not have this kind of cash laying around.

If you have already filed your bankruptcy then whether you are able to surrender the car depends on whether you signed a reaffirmation. You need to move quickly and check on this. You can rescind a reaffirmation prior to the discharge.
    v
    If you have not already, seek the advice of an experienced bankruptcy attorney. I wish you luck.

John G. Merna, Esq.
    The Merna Law Group, PC
    3623 Virginia Beach Blvd.
    Virginia Beach, VA 23452
    757-340-4070
    jmerna@mernalaw.com

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

1

Answered . Sure, you can always surrender your vehicle after filing Chapter 7. There can be some strategic reasons for delaying making this decision when you file Chapter 7, so always discuss this issue with your attorney. After all, you may need to pick up another vehicle before you surrender your current vehicle, unless you like walking in the summer heat!

Hope this perspective helps!

3. Patrick Begley

Answered . I'm not sure I entirely understand your question but you can surrender the car in a Chapter 7. It has nothing to do with whether you can afford it. Keeping it depends on whether or not you can afford it.

Obviously I don't know what your specific income/expense breakdown is, but you should also make sure you qualify for a 7 without the car payment. Not having a car payment can affect the means test and can push you into a Chapter 13. Talk to a bankruptcy attorney in your area.

I wish you the best of luck!

4. Geoffrey Marc Khotim

Answered . Yes, you can surrender your car after filing a Chapter 7. You just want to make sure you do not reaffirm the car loan within your bankruptcy case. If you reaffirm, you may get stuck with a deficiency. If you do not reaffirm, you can surrender the car anytime, even a year after your bankruptcy, and not get stuck with a deficiency.

When you surrender the car may impact your Means Test and your ability to get another car loan, if that is needed. Discussing these issues with an attorney is a good idea.